31/08/2014

You've Got Mail

My recipe for a solitary lazy lounging Sunday is simple plus one technical glitch. 

Weekend. Check.
Internet off. Check.
Chew Sunday Times. Check.
High calorie brunch. Check.

Access to T. V. ---- Waiting !

Yes, day by day its becoming difficult to share the most prized possession of our house - our T.V. Any ways the power struggle with Sinha Ji had had the status of impeding case lying at the bottom in High Court, one more member has added to my woes. Now my tv rights are not only violated but ripped off from my home maker's designation. Oh yes, Snv have got this new love developed for National Geographic channel. The love gets deeper when the food is at stake.

For every morsel she wants to have a look at the panther, leopard, tiger, lion or the entire animal kingdom. This reminds me of her Nana Ji. My father too love watching it specially over a meal and quite like an expert forecast or pass on a prediction as to when the lion is going to jump high to catch his prey with ample use of hindi phrases "ये  लपका / ये मारा पंजा ". I used to find it funny then and hereditary now. The tv remote oscillates between wildlife flora and fauna to cricket to business news with no place for my angrezi pictures :(


However, i did get lucky today and managed to watch my all time favourite one. Yes, like a true tigress i waited for the other big tv-i-vores in my house to sleep and make a move in mid night to take full control of remote and indulge in Hollywood romcoms with lemon tea and popcorns.

There is something incredibly attractive and magnetic about the pair of Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan.


Pick any of their movie. You've Got Mail, Sleepless in Seattle or When Harry Met Sally. No matter how many times i have watched these movies and yet can fall head over heels for a deep dive. Of course you can can youtube it anytime but the starry eye pleasure of catching up a movie late night, your fav. one is just magical.

The dialouges are like as if i wish i would have written them, almost all. The one about leading a small yet valuable life and the other one on change when Shop Girl / Kathleen Kelly writes to Joe Fox / Ny 152.

"People are always telling you that change is a good thing. But all they're really saying is that something you didn't want to happen at all... has happened. My store is closing this week. I own a store, did I ever tell you that? It's a lovely store, and in a week it will be something really depressing, like a Baby Gap. Soon, it'll just be a memory. In fact, someone, some foolish person, will probably think it's a tribute to this city, the way it keeps changing on you, the way you can never count on it, or something. I know because that's the sort of thing I'm always saying. But the truth is... I'm heartbroken. I feel as if a part of me has died, and my mother has died all over again, and no one can ever make it right." 

There are so many favourites, but one on coffee from Joe Fox with reference to my own strong feelings which are out and open in my posts on Romancing with Coffee or Committing to Tea.

"The whole purpose of places like Starbucks is for people with no decision-making ability whatsoever to make six decisions just to buy one cup of coffee. Short, tall, light, dark, caf, decaf, low-fat, non-fat, etc. So people who don't know what the hell they're doing or who on earth they are, can, for only $2.95, get not just a cup of coffee but an absolutely defining sense of self: Tall! Decaf! Cappuccino!"

Isin't true, the entire quote.

The ultimate scene when Shop Girl meets NY152 with Kimberley (pug).
The the golden dialouge was "I wanted it to be you. I wanted it to be you so badly."

There are scenes in the movie which are straight out of my life defining courtship period. In a long distance relationship "You've Got Mail" indeed are the three most important words probably after "I Love You". Those days the obsessive social networking madness wasn't there and also internet was not so fast or easily available at every nook and corner. 

Watching this movie is like boarding a time machine and swisshhh going back in time. Our time of pure bliss and remembering the small little acts, the extent to which we had gone to make sure yes the message is passed on just in time and by the way it never restricted to 140 characters or few lines. They were like like pages from daily diary, sagas, essay in itself with some general to specific to utterly non-sensical stuff written with utmost passion and interest. 

And there is exactly a conversation about this in the movie it goes like "The odd thing about this form of communication is that you're more likely to talk about nothing than something. But I just want to say that all this nothing has meant more to me than so many somethings." 

And above all, the heart thumping out loud to see a bright icon indicating You've Got Mail. I have totally lived up the anticipatory impulse of ShopGirl when she writes "What will NY152 say today, I wonder. I turn on my computer. I wait impatiently as it connects. I go online, and my breath catches in my chest until I hear three little words: You've got mail. I hear nothing. Not even a sound on the streets of New York, just the beating of my own heart. I have mail. From you."

Sometimes, when i gets tired running on the fast pace treadmill called life, i read those e-mails and feel like how much we have growp up since then. But then i also think, why did we grow up? We can't we just hold the time tight in our palms with no gaps to let it swirl down. 

What time is it now?

Half past two. 

This is actually a good way to start off a Monday and kill the blues even before they sprung up. 

Good Night Morning !

---
PS : BTW tonight "Sleepless in Seattle" will come at 9 pm. And i very well know i have to sacrifice it for a hungry carnivore followed by Maharana Pratap ! By 11 i would become sleepless in Bangalore ! And it is this wait that makes movie watching over t.v. so exciting. 

10 comments:

  1. If you liked the above movies in the category of rom com, I would truly suggest you watch:
    1) Music and lyrics
    2) While you were sleeping
    Both would be time best invested in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sneh, will surely catch up on these two movies. I have watched the bollywood version of "while you were sleeping" starring Salman and Rani.

      Delete
  2. I can bet this will be your widely read post.
    Dil se likhi hui dil ki baat dil ko kaise nahin touch karegi.
    For an introverted person like me, for whom blurting out anything through the way of mouth is a big deal, I identify with writing long long stuff as a way of expression, sending out long msges way beyond the 140 characters limit and then worrying about the prepaid mobile balance getting nill.
    I guess will have to ask Dhruv's daddy to download all these movies for me to watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see bespectacled mother becoming quite a forecaster :) We are so young and we are already nostalgic about so many things. What an irony of digital age.

      Delete
  3. I recently watched MUSIC AND LYRICS ... do watch it, it's way too good :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, two votes for this movie.

      Delete
  4. nice post! my sunday is almost ditto :D
    http://theknotstory.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some parts of these movies are beautiful beyond words. You know even I want to open a cozy little book store ever since I saw 'You've got mail' These movies make even surreal believable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I swear. I have too have similar fetish for opening up a bakery. Its smell makes me so happy. Thanks for dropping by Saru.

      Delete