04/04/2014

5. Epidural in Labour - Yes or No ?


Read sequel post, when Deaf Mamma entered the delivery room first time. 

Why did i opt out of an epidural injection. Why why why ?

Look darling, you are no Aishwarya Rai (Miss World), that your bravery saga will hog the prime time news on national TV. How she did opt out of epidural and went through the labour at a sweet age of 38 to produce a baby - born with a silver spoon. 




You start cursing yourself. 

Why did i choose this stage of my life only, to attempt for a bravery award, which actually no one ever gets, it doesn't exist in the first place. All this bahaduri (bravery) and tamaasha (drama) for something which every woman is destined to go through, as routine part of her life, with neither an appreciation certificate now, nor later or never from anybody. Not even from the offspring jumping to slide down after the most awaited 10 cm dilation.

Am i too posh to push...no way, i am a conventional middle class woman, I can survive pains of a normal delivery, just like my mom did, my mother-in-law did, my 2 grandmothers (my mom are 9 siblings and father are 8). After all, ek baar jo maine committment kar di, uske baad to main khud ki bhi nahi sunti. (Salman Khan fans would love this) :)

I was in my full senses, when everybody in the room was game for only one thing... 

PUSH ! PUSH ! PUSH ! 

This other four letter word too, i mean PUSH, still haunts me. Now and forever will. Whenever i see it written on the spic and span glass doors of a shop or my little one's toys - I get goosebumps. In nano second, a flash of lightning strikes in front of my eyes of that fateful day, almost blinding me. May be for the same petrifying reason, i shop less these days. Now you see, the positive sunny side of me. It’s there in me, just that the pessimist one is a go getter offlate.

After the push-push marathon lasted for 25 minutes on table and this doesn’t include the one in the ward where I tried to practice all the Lamaze breathing techniques and yoga poses, only to be a failure. The one and only person who can tackle woman in labour pains is the vicky donor,  i mean the partner in crime, hush hush husband. 

BTW i survived a normal delivery without an epidural and drip. In the end, Gynec complimented me - and that was my only bravery consolation verbal prize !

To be continued...
---
PS: Watch my fav. song from alphabet E - Ek Main Aur Ek TuYou may also like to read my other posts from alphabet E

1- East Africa Visit and Safari Tales (Travel, My First International Trip)
2- Ek Slice Bread - Won't Quit On You Ever (Humour)

---
This 300 words post is written for April A to Z Challenge 2014, serial number 402.  

24 comments:

  1. Arz kiya hai -
    Unki bahaduri ke kisse
    Kuch is kadar aam huay
    Na wo pahar chade
    Na hi nadiyan paar ki
    Bas apni zindagi ki dastaan
    Hum sab ke saath baant li

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kya baat hai Anamika, I feel the same when you wrote that post on potty training. I could see the martyr in you ;p Actually there is one in each mother on this planet. ;p

      Delete
  2. WOW. That's bravery and determination!
    Damyanti Co-host, A to Z Challenge 2014, Latest post on Daily (w)rite
    Twitter: @damyantig
    #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Damyanti. After this post i am feeling brave ;p

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Hi Anji, time heals everything. Even the stiches on unmentionable places ;p

      Delete
  4. Thats brave and am scared to death yet again now :(
    dropping by frm a to z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Afshan, thanks for dropping by. Should i infer yet again means you too had natural delivery ?

      Delete
  5. Shweta your story seems to be getting closer and closer to my heart and I cannot stop myself by dropping by here again and again and reading and re-reading the posts.
    In the eyes of people like me who deliberately opted for the second option, you are definitely an epitome of bravery and audacity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't yaar. You know, my mom had told me that going through a labour is not worth it and since all the padhi likhi ladiyaan go for C-section why you are hell bent on this. But i guess, my gynec was my influence. She is such a wonderful lady, i mean otherwise too i sometimes want to go and say hello to her. I do that sometime.

      But yes, the stiches at unmentionable places was something nobody even hinted me about. I can't forget those 21 days after the delivery.

      Delete
  6. Women surely are blessed with Motherhood, and the beauty of creation :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, if ever God asked me, who you would want to be - Woman, again! Thanks for dropping by Amrit, since Kolkatta is quite far from Bangalore ;p

      Delete
    2. I am not in Kolkata now ... have moved to Gurgaon, but then, that again, is equally far :p

      Delete
  7. I think getting the epidural scared me more than going through labor without it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whichever side Cheryl, woman are made of some element not shown in elementary table with a super atomic number. Hail woman !

      Delete
  8. I did it twice without epidurals which were a relatively new thing back then. Both my babies were big...such a good incubator am I. My son, number one, managed to get stuck, so my OBGYN decided to give me a pethidine injection. Wow, that stuff is fabulous. I would do advertisements for it. I told anyone who wanted to listen every single phone number I knew and told them to call those people immediately to inform them of the impending birth. I knew nothing of this until the next day when told of it by the doctor. How embarrassing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brave woman. I am once bitten, twice shy.

      Delete
  9. Awesome Post yet again!!! this reminded me of a labor delivery I watched once for ssomeone else and that moment I realised the real pain a women actually go through and I felt blessed and so thankful for my mother!!! Felt like what all mothers go through!!! Surely it is a pure bliss!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know i had most missed my mother when i delivered a baby. And i used to call her and sob and she was like, what's wrong with you. How do i tell her, how indebted i am for her 30 years for unconditional love .

      Delete
    2. so feel the same.....Mothers and their unconditional love....something unbelieveable and unimaginable.

      Delete
  10. I never had an epidural during any of my five deliveries. The idea of a needle in my back is a nightmare....probably as a direct result of the spinal tap I had when I was nine years old. I did, however, have Demerol. for my first four deliveries. My 5th came too fast and there wasn't any time. Kudos to you for doing it au natural!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, an injection in a spine can make me spineless - my fear. I was on pethidine, something she injected before stiching up the business back down there.

      Delete
  11. Pregnancy, labor and our experiences with them are so individual. My first child the epidural did not work for me. I ended up having an emergency c section and the rest of my kids were planned c sections. My experiences even years later were a little disappointing to me. But I'm happy with the end result, four precious, beautiful children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, when i see my daughter do things that i teach her with a smile - a feel like a winner. Totally worth it. Child birth and parenting is indeed tough, but worth it.

      And hey, i loved your easter cookie post. Yummy !

      Delete